Finally I am writing about something current and I am definitely near a large current...the Siant John river! The campsite is on a peninsula and the river is so big it seems like camping on a lake.
Today we are heading down the coast to St. Andrews and St.Stephens.
Now that I'm back in Canada I'm wondering what it is that makes me feel more comfortable in these surroundings. How is it that I instinctively feel at home even though the signs are all bilingual and I haven't heard a single person say eh yet? I wonder if I will continue to feel at home all across Canada.
On Saturday Ruth and I visited St. Stephen and St. Andrews and both were delightful. Again we encountered the major highway, part of the Trans Canada, that is not on the GPS and was built a few years ago. We heard a few horror stories about accidents as a result of following a GPS and I did find it confusing at times and the highway signage was not always great. It definitely helped having another set of driving eyes in the vehicle.
St. Stephens is the home of Ganog chocolate and the chocolate museum is well worth visiting. The fact that we fit into the seniors category which meant a reduced admission and that there is an unlimited supply of chocolates along the tour was all the incentive we needed. Gaming was and still is a family run business and the museum is very well done. This is also the company that created The candy called Chicken Bones which I hadn't seen in a very long time. A hard cinnamon flavoured pink coating over an unsweetened chocolate core.
The original factory building which now houses the museum and their retail outlet.

A huge variety of chocolates and some are still hand dipped.
The urge to purchase chocolates was somewhat reduced by consumption during the tour which was a good thing because none could pssibly fit in my small fridge. I did purchase Chicken Bones and some fruit jellies that should travel okay and also a Sunquist product of fresh fruit snacks that they make. A very large and modern factory was built in the late nineties and the company is the town's largest employer, about 400 (I think).
Next was St. Andrew's and this is a delightful village that caters to the whims of tourists. Lots of wake watching tours originate here and there are a large number of restaurants and unique stores nestled amongst old houses and adorned with wonderful murals.
Our late return to the campsite was not noticeable because of the noise from the campsite's dance. Our sites are just past the office and the dance was in the courtyard just behind the office. The music did not end until 1 a.m. And by then the DJ was playing country songs which were a little easier on the ears. A most enjoyable day.







are you going as far as Peggy's Cove? They have the nicest people there that you will meet on your tour. Doreen
ReplyDelete