Saturday, 6 July 2013

Back in Canada

I am back in Canada and everything feels just a little easier and more natural especially the money and having the use of my cell phone as a calendar and alarm clock once again.  The pace will slow down now as well. still lots and lots to see and do but without the constant packing and unpacking. I am in this spot for four nights and that is a delightful feeling.
Here is Harding Point on the peninsula in the Saint John River. The government provides ferry service to the peninsula at five locations and did I mention there is no charge? It is a five minute trip and I can just hear some of the small island residents in BC claiming that their's should be free too. All I can say is they used to have bridges and switched to ferries. in the winter there is an icebreaker that opens the route if the river freezes.
This morning I had the pleasure to use the cleanest most well designed washroom and shower facility I have ever encountered in a camping facility. The Pumpkin Patch RV near Bangor, Maine is the best campground private or otherwise that I have ever stayed at. The staff take pride in their work and the owner takes pride in the staff and that' a win/win for the customer. I will try to remember that great feeling as I use the poorly planned and inadequate shower facility at this site. 
As I approached the border with an itemized list of purchases and my passport in hand, I began to feel nervous. Why does a border crossing worry me? is it the horror stories we've seen on TV? At any rate I approached cautiously and didn't stutter or stumble when answering the usual questions: when I'd left and where I'd been and what I'd bought and where I was going now. Perhaps my new passport photo  looks more like me than previous ones although I sort of hope that isn't the case. And another thought to ponder is why it feels so good to drive in metric after 12 days in miles, and it didn't matter at all that the signs were all bilingual. 
There was an odd thing happening with the GPS. The road I travelled  did not match the GPS. In places I was driving straight while the GPS highway was turning, or I was driving parallel to the GPS road until a curve and then I'd be back on the red GPS road. And this was not just happening on my GPS. Ruth was travelling through green fields as well. It was however quite comical trying to guess when my car would meet up with the road. As long as the GPS gets me to my destination I'm thankful.
Today was the last time change until Newfoundland and that is only a half hour. It doesn't feel like midnite but it is so I better start playing stuff and get my bed made and me into it. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.