Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Sun and surf

Today was Whale Searching Day! The Bay of Fundy provides a unique ocean environment because of the high tides. The B of F also has many islands of various shapes and sizes. The whale watching cruise left from St. Andrews at 1:30 so first we had fish and chips at the pizza place in town. This was recommended to us yesterday by a local. Tasty but not nearly as tasty as Ozzies which Ruth and i visited yesterday. The clam strips were amazing and the homemade tartar sauce was exquisite, very light and punctuated with dill. And although it was deep fried it was very light and not at all greasy.

Then on to find whales. 


The boat was a catamaran and for anyone that doesn't like the rolling motion of a boat this is a good choice and has minimum roll. There were two marine biologists on board one for the top deck and one for the more sheltered lower deck. 
The most common whale in this area is the Minke whale and compared to west coast whales they are fairly non-descript. They don't leap out of the water and when they surface you don't see a lot especially when the whale you are wAtching has a partial amputation of the dorsal fin.


The scenery however is spectacular with numerous islands, lighthouses and large homes. The first picture below is as we were leaving the wharf.





Most whale tours include a visit to a local seal area and bird nesting area just in case you haven't seen a lot of whales. We only saw two whales but we did get to see them several times.


It was a beautiful day to be on the ocean as it was very hot and humid on shore. Between the cool breeze and the incredible scenery I was more than happy to have taken the tour. I also gained a few more freckles while on the trip.

The next day I decided to stay at the RV site to try and sore out my trailer so that I could find things. that's one of the downfalls of a small trailer--there isn't a lot of storage space, okay there isn't really any storage space except for food and dishes. That leaves a lot of other items that need to be stored creatively.This is one of the times that I am thankful for my Girl Guide background. I feel I have utilized the limited space effectively but I failed to keep it tidy so a sorting day was needed. Perhaps a future blog will share some of the solutions I am using.

On Canada Day I met Chezney and mentioned her in my blog. Well Chezney read the blog and posted a comment. Chezney is you're reading this and would like to be a email pen pal send me a message at lahodgkin@gmail.com.

This is Linda's last line for tonight.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.