Friday, 17 July 2015

First step...

I have been on the waiting list for my first knee replacement for nine months. About three weeks ago I realized that my leg muscles, in both legs, closely resembled limp zucchinis. Gone were my cycling calves and my skiing thighs. I shouldn't have been surprised because my physical activities have become extremely limited in the last year. In truth there wasn't anything that I could do without pain and crunching in my knees. I could not predict when it might give out and I was using a cane for support. I was also spending far too much time feeling sorry for myself. To put it in perspective for my Girl Guide friends I was NOT doing my best. It was time to step out of the poor, poor me box that I had built.

I knew I was going to need a physiotherapist after the surgery and decided that I should find one now with the hope of being more physically ready when for surgery whenever it happens. Enter Jared, a younger, courteous, knowlegeable, patient and understanding physio at Ascent Physiotherapy in Comox. I chose that clinic on the recommendation of friends and another medical professional and the fact that its location allows me to drive home via one of my favourite places, Goose Spit. Yes it is a slight detour but well worth it. Driving on Goose Spit with a view of the Comox Glacier on one side and the mountains on the mainland on the other side always makes me smile. 

After four appointments over three weeks I am confident that Jared is the right physio for me as I move forward on this journey. 

1 comment:

  1. I spent some time in Comox a couple summers ago with a friend (who was a vendor during the Filberg Festival). I loved walking out along the Goose Spit! Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.