Saturday, 24 August 2013

Returning to Mainland Canada

Not only was I tired when the plane landed in Halifax but there was an extra half hour added to a day that had started at 4:45 and that was in the a.m. After collecting our bags we took the shuttle to the long term parking lot and loaded it into Ken's truck for the 30 minute drive to our last campsite where we had left the trailers and my truck. Sterling, my truck, and Silver Lining, my trailer, were already hitched and it didn't take too long for me to be ready to go. Which was a good thing because my energy level was very low. Our campsite for the night was in Shediac, NB. Leaving Nova Scotia after just leaving Newfoundland was a double downer especially after such a short sleep. It was hot and muggy and I was tired. A stop at Sobey's added fresh fruit, meat and veggies to my electric root cellar and I continued on to our overnight stop. 
The next morning we headed to Forillon National Park and set up camp for two nights. The mosquitoes were horrific, I was overtired, the weather was hot and humid. Ruth and I went to Kelly's beach and the birds, sand dunes and beach waves were great and we took lots of pictures and I flipped between the binoculars and the camera and it was enjoyable... until we returned to the campsite where the bugs were once again in numbers too high to count. 
The next morning was laundry day and Ruth and I went over to Ryan's Beach to deal with it. Despite having done some laundry while in Twillingate we managed to fill three machines. Luckily the store attached to the laundry was air conditioned and had two tables with chairs. We did a little exploring during the wash cycle before chilling out in the store during the dryer cycle.
My energy level was low to begin with and the bugs, heat and humidity were exhausting. We could probably blame some of it on a drastic change in barometric pressure as well as there was a or rental rainfall that night. I was very thankful that I had taken my awning down in preparation for moving on. I'm sure the weight of the rain would have pulled it down making a nice muddy mess to deal with this morning. That was a blessing as I struggled with the packing up and moving out this morning. 
The drive today was better than I thought it would be given the previous two days. It was cooler and the only negative thing was changing time zones when we entered Quebec. That meant an extra hour in my day. 
It seems to have worked out all right though. This is a nice campsite on the water with clean washrooms, grassy sites and NO MOSQUITOES or any other bugs! It was windy when I arrived and that was delightful, my site is level, I backed in unassisted and didn't need to unhitched which means an easy start tomorrow. Ruth and I had a pleasant walk through our park and onto the boardwalk beside the marina. My supper was definite comfort food...Kraft dinner with added chicken and sun dried  tomatoes, my dishes are done, the trailer is tidy, my blog writing is up to date and I am saying good night at 10:30 Eastern Daylight Time.
Good night to you in whatever time zone you call home.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying reading your blogs, and becoming a past master interpreting what at first glance seems not to make sense. I don't think auto correct is helping, :-) I especially enjoyed there was ... a or rental rain last night. Waiting for it to do that here, but someone hasn't paid the rent yet. Rest up and have fun. :-) Mum

    ReplyDelete

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.