Friday, 9 August 2013

Mahone Bay

Mahone Bay is home to three picturesque and frequently photographed churches. I took a slight detour around the side of the bay to try and find the best place to take the picture and decided that there wasn't a best place on land. I considered taking a harbour cruise but seriously it's far cheaper to buy the postcard. 
 


Ruth found a high end shoe store with seriously reduced prices and she phoned me to let me know because they had some in my size. I was very excited and hurried to join her. They had my size but only my size before I got orthotics and needed a size larger. Size 43s just aren't that easy to come by. I just wasn't meant to increase my shoe wardrobe at sale prices at this time but there's still lots of other places to visit before we get home.

Mahone Bay is the home of Amos Pewter. The store is delightful and seemed to have more product than is in the catalogue. At every turn I found new-to-me items and that was after several laps of the store. And then the tough part came, it was time to choose. There were several very tough decisions to make because I just couldn't buy everything I liked. I went up to the counter with my Mum's Christmas list and while the sales lady was putting the ribbons around the packages I finalized my wish list and gave it to her. Then at the last minute I added one more item as a special gift to my nephew. Just in case he reads this I won't say what it is but I know he will understand and appreciate the significance when I give it to him.

The downtown core of Mahone Bay is scenic, the buildings have been kept up, the stores are unique, interesting and varied. The restaurants are varied and offer all types of cuisine. The streets are narrow and the tourist/shopping area is on the main road that runs along the coast and is quite delightful. Even Ken who often shys away from gift type stores enjoyed the  ones in Mahone Bay.

At the nature store I found the perfect pair of binoculars for me. I have been looking for some time since mine broke and am delighted. The owner even gave me an extra discount because the HST here is higher than our combined PST and GST in BC. Plus he shared the location of a beach that might still have some piping plovers. Ruth and I decided to go there to check it out but when we reached the cable ferry we got a little worried that it would be getting dark when we got there. So we turned around and went back to the campsite. Maybe another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.