I was quite glad to reach the campground on the St Lawrence River near Johnstown. The park seemed very full and that shouldn't have been surprising since this was the last weekend before school started.
I was excited about going to Upper Canada Village which I saw 47 years ago when our family moved from Quebec to BC. This visit surpassed all expectations. The village is a real treasure and it is very easy to spend a full day there. The war of 1812 was fought in this area and the heritage display now includes information about the war. Winning this war secured the land for the British who later let the people form Canada. How's that for a simplified history lesson?
What makes this a remarkable place is the people that work there. (Excuse me while I herd the chickens out of the laundry room. I am not kidding. They are forming an attack line and resisting all scare tactics.) I have won temporarily.
Most of the people working at Upper Canada Village have been there for many years and are there because they are doing something they love. They may also be the only ones able to keep the equipment running. The saw mill, cotton mill and grist mill are all run by hydraulic power and are originals that worked before electricity and that are k pet functioning by these dedicated employees.
It is laid out a village with industry near the river, and the shops and home businesses interspersed with houses on a network of roads surrounding the fairgrounds. Horse drawn carts, buggies and carriages carry passengers around the village and a horse drawn scow is able to transport many rope from one end to the other. There is a restaurant that serves home cooked meals and a more modern fast food type place tucked away in the back of the village. The special of the day at the restaurant was chicken pot pie and it was delicious.
The only disappointment was the gift shop. There was not a plate to b found and I had hoped to buy one to pair with the one that we bought 47 years ago.
The pictures for this wonderful place may get posted eventually if I remember to transfer them from my camera to the iPad at a time when I have good wifi. The probability of all this things happening at the same time is unpredictable.
Glad you had a good day there Linda. Strange, all I remember about being there, so long ago, is the horse drawn scow. I keep thinking about our visit to Black Creek Village near Toronto. Mum
ReplyDelete