Sunday, 29 September 2013

Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump

A slight detour, which was insignificant considering the total number of kilometres that I have put on my no-longer-new truck, offered an opportunity to visit this National Historic Site. It was more than worth it! 
Every effort has been made to maintain the feel of this ancient, by Canadian standards, and culturally important site. The ingenuity and bravery that were a part of this hunting are shared through a variety of displays, videos and more. The building itself has been built into the cliffside on several layers. A variety of media are used to explain the significance of the buffalo hunt to the first nations people and the respect that they had for the bufalo. The method of the hunt was complicated and this is very well demonstarted through a videod re-enactment and on picture boards. 
I will admit that hisroy is not and never has been my favourite subject. The vist to this site showed me that history does not have to be boring. This journey across Canada has given me a new undrestanding and appreciation of the ingenuity and significance of the individual and cultural contributions that made Canada. This history is just as impotant to us as a nation now as it was then.
I am choosing not to post pictures with this blog because the displays that I saw are important because of the understanding I gained from them and it really is something tht must be experienced not just seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.