The Niagara Escarpment stretches 725 km from Niagara to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula. This is a UNESCO biosphere site which means it is recognized as a unique and unusual landscape. Put another way... I was totally in awe of the land, water and rocks that I saw on my brief visit. It's another one of those geography/geology weird things that you probably need a degree to explain properly. It is stunning and yet very accessible. I always thought this would be next to impossible to get to requiring a lot of hiking/backpacking and it isn't.
I visited the National Park info centre in Tobermory the day after I arrived. I took in all the displays and checked the trail info and then decided to do my lsundry and visit park the next day which was Sunday. Wearing sturdy shoes, carrying a light pack and hiking poles I drove to the main park entrance. Dozens of cars were parked around the small building while visitors bought their day pass. I however had my annual pass hanging on the mirror and was able to drive straight in. I was met at the entrance to the parking area for the trails by a volunteer who told me to take e first spot I saw as there were only about three left. I was a little surprised since I knew how many cars had been back at the pass office. I found a spot, parked the truck and checked the ail map I had picked up the day before.
I headed down the trail towards the main attractions and almost instantly saw a cove to my right.
The colours in the water looked like something from Mexico or the Caribbean although the water itself would be much colder!
The trail was rocky with lots of roots and very interesting shadows. At this point it was actually quite easy to walk.
The rock formations are unique and the result of gazillions of years of geological changes. The water colours are the result of the different types of rocks underneath, the depth, etc.
Wen I reached the 'cove' I was amazed at the number of people that were there, forty or more of all ages and nationalities. Only a few men were in the water as the waves were quite large and the area is very rocky. There are lots of signs warning about cliff jumping and advising that it is prohibited and that people have drowned because it takes a long time for help to arrive. That was more than enough to keep me well back from the edge of any rocks and water. The man that is sitting on the ground in the picture above, was in the water and was either thrown by a wave against the rock or swallowed water when the waves hit him. Either way he managed to yell "Help" and the reaction was instant. One man raced up and behind where I was to get the life ring and two others tried to pull him up out of the water. There was a hush as the rescue took place and as the picture shows it was successful. There was a lot of testosterone involved in that rescue.
After that excitement I continued along the trail to find the 'grotto' which is a large cave in the cliff that was made by thousands of years of wave action, etc. At this point the going got more difficult with lots of broken rocks to climb up, over and around. My hiking poles were put to the test as I convinced my knees that they really could do this and I made sure to always have three point contact with the gound.
(Yikes, pardon me while I catch my breath after the loudest and longest thunder clap I have ever heard. That sounded very close as in right over my trailer.)
The trail was now more of a rock scramble with several large outcrops like the one pictured below. The woman is on the top level of the rock taking a picture of the man on the ledge below. It's a Little hard to see him. Much of the rock had patterns such as the one on the right.

I continued to follow the trail and it came out on "boulder beach" which was literally boulders of all sizes, shapes and dimensions. Concentration was needed as I made my way over these stone hurdles. I can only imagine how long it took to create this huge pile at the top of the beach, if you can call it a beach. These were not smooth rounded rocks but sharp, jagged, broken slabs. The inukshuk is a frequent symbol on beaches, hikes, etc.
The next trail of the circular loop that I was travelling offered yet another landscape. Marr Lake with a pitted bedrock beach. It seemed like a moonscape.
And then I saw this large and familiar creature and knew I was still on earth.
The trail headed inland and the rocks were interspersed with tree roots. A little easier on the knees which were now crunching as I walked.
The title of this post indicates that there is more to share of this day but the reality of wifi and the number of pictures included suggests that I post this now. Fathom Five to follow.









No comments:
Post a Comment
Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.