Our house was in a small community called Crow Head. From there a short drive "inland", about three minutes, brings you to another harbour. This one is Twillingate or maybe that's the next one. Bottom line is that there are many indentations in the coastline of not just this area but all over Newfoundland. And each of them is uniquely and equally spectacular, oops that's a conundrum!
The goal for today was to explore some of these treasures and to learn more about the history of the area by taking in a "museum" or two along the way. I am not a huge fan of museums and I did choose to enjoy the scenery rather than the artifacts at a couple of locations. I was still awed by all I had seen the previous day.
This delightful signpost let us know that we were closer to London, England than Vancouver, BC and more importantly, that coffee, as in an expresso that can be made into a latte with skim milk and sugar free vanilla flavouring, was available. It was delightful and the caffeine was wonderful.
I was surprised at the number of white houses in this area and the white laundry. Isn't it nice to know some people still sleep between sheets that have basked in the fresh air rather than tumbled in a metal drum with an artificial fragrance sheet? No I do not have a dryer for sale, I think it is nice that some people still have this experience.
I also noticed that the houses weren't lined up on the streets as if they were a Monopoly game board. Sometimes it was difficult to distinguish between streets and driveways. And there was always scenery to admire.
We spoke with the lady that owned the orange house that goes with this cute blue shed with an orange door-the colour the house will be when the new clapboard is installed and painted. She came from away and is therefore a CFA. Her previous residence was in Ontario and she and her husband bought this house for their retirement and then he died suddenly and within a few years she decided she 'd had enough of working and moved to this house. She is still renovating and updating this one and she also owns the gray and red one that is currently under construction. It is on the same road and you can pretty well see one from the other. It was interesting to talk with a permanent resident who came from away. She explained also that most properties in Twillingate had a root cellar that belonged to the house. Across the street from the pumpkin house were two root cellars that each had an orange door. We explains that one was actually for the property across the street where her car was parked. The property her new house is on also has one. She also told us why so many houses were white. Clapboard need to be be reprinted frequently and replaced eventually. When aluminum siding was first introduced many if not most of the residents here felt that would be much better than the clapboard. But it only came in white. If you want to find your house in a blizzard you'd best paint the door a bright colour.
We went to the local winery which bottles tiny bottles of six of their wines... just enough for Mum and me or Jamie and Mum or ??? The labels are unique but I suppose it would be incorrect to ask for the empties back.
Then we headed further down the road searching for French Beach which we found by following a well worn path.
This church's rectory, is now the Twillingate Museum and we stopped there just before closing. We had been told that there was a display about the woman who started Girl Gudes in Newfoundland.
The information was interesting but the Guiding display was minimal and I was far more interested in the following items.
I have never seen one of these bikes in such a small size and the ironing board is special because I learned to iron on this style of board and think it is much better than the aluminum lightweights available today. Are you getting old when you find things that you used to use in a museum?
Before going home to pack, in preparation for moving on to Trinity, we went out for dinner to a restaurant recommended by previous guests in the visitor book in our rental home. The dinner theatre had also been recommended in the guest book. The place was packed and it was a while before we got in and the food was worth the wait. Next stop Trinity, Elliston and Boavista.















I still use a wooden ironing board. Mum
ReplyDelete