Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Scotch, the Red Shoe Pub and a Farmer's Daughter

The final day in Cape Breton included a new experience, some great food and unexpected treasures.
There is a single malt distillery in Cape Breton that produces some good Scotch or at least that is what I was told. Since I do not having any knowledge or experience with alcoholic beverages of any number of malts the sample offered at the end of the tour was not the highlight of the day for me. It was interesting and impressive and the very small drop of 10 year old scotch that I actually swallowed ensured that I would not be emptying the shot glass! The explanation of the process and viewing the  stills and other apparatus was very interesting, especially for a retired lab tech. 
After the distillery tour we headed towards Mabou and found the Red Shoe Pub that is run by the Rankin sisters.  The food was excellent--the clubhouse sandwich used an entire chicken breast and the 'Cavendish' fries served with it were the best fries I've every tasted. Delicious! And that was my fries quota for the week. Still looking for homemade style Anglais poutine.
Then as we were driving back to the campsite we stopped at the Farmer's Daughter, which is a gift shop and bakery. The Farmer's Daughter was started by the father of three girls ago so that his daughters could run it and not have to rely on farming. However, two of the daughters moved to BC so just one daughter and her hudband are now running the businessis.
It would seem that this daughter has a good understanding of what tourists are interested in as both Ruth and I found items to purchase. Some serious realocation of space in the back of the truck is required in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.