This is the second day of the first NS week and I am in Cape Breton. The plan for today is to take advantage of Tim Horton's wifi to complete an update of the Facebook app and then to mosey on up the road to Big Pond and the Rita MacNeil Tea House. Feels a little bittersweet to be going there but I will think of the heavenly concerts she is giving now.
Later...
I Managed to partially complete the Facebook update at Tim Horton's...my timeline is okay but I don't have a news feed anymore. Rita's tea house is as lovely as I remember from more than ten years ago. The parking lot is not made for trailers but I found a place along the righthand side of the parking lot. My total length is 32 feet so it is usually fairly easy to find somewhere to park. The Seabloom rig requires a lot mor space but they were able to go alongside me except that it blocked in a small blue car that I had parked behind. I had left enough room for the owner to back up and turn left to get out. With the Seabloom trailer beside mine this would no longer be possible. When we decided to sty for lunch Ruth went from table to table until she identified the owner and let them know that they were blocked in but would be unblocked whenever they were ready to leave. Backing up my trailer would be the easiest way to let them out. I quietly placed my keys beside Ken. ;)
My reversing skills had improved significantly until I accidentally stepped on one of the mirrors. I had taken them inside my trailer to replace the rubber straps which were breaking...they were almost two years old. In the confines of the trailer there wasn't enough room on the floor for my feet and the mirrors and the mirror took the worst of the inevitable confrontation. I picked up a new set at Canadian Tire and thought all would be well again but... They are a different design and I am still trying to get them not to vibrate or show me three images that are all the same. That is why I passed the keys to Ken, he is a trailer backer upper extraordinaire. The people in the small blue car from New Brunswick were on their way quickly and Ken was back before our lunch was served.
Cape Breton is an island that is linked to Nova Scotia by a causeway. Nova Scotia would also be an island except for the narrow isthmus that links it to New Brunswick. Cape Breton also has a lot of inland water such as Bras Dor which actually connects with the ocean near the causeway. For all you Wikipedia experts out there this is my interpretation and geography was never a strong subject for me. If I amd wrong I will stand corrected but don't tell me because this is the first time I've even come close to understanding the land water geography of any part of NS.
What I do know is that water enhances a beautiful sunset.




Your description of the water land geography makes perfect sense to me. Think I understand it even better than when I was actually there. Loved hearing about the Tea Room, I can picture it and remember every bit of our time there. Reliving our two Maritime tours through your blogs.
ReplyDeleteYou've taken some great pictures Linda!
ReplyDelete