Friday, 31 August 2012

Oregonians are wonderful

I am retired and often have to ask which day of the week it is. I can easily forgive myself for not realizing that this is a long weekend and not only in Canada, eh. When I checked into the state park near Bandon last night it was only for one night, another party had reserved it for the next three nights. The phone-lending-park-ranger suggested that I check again in the morning around 9:30 or 10:00 in case a site was available for another night. I did just that and learned that there was one site I could have for tonight and then a different one available on Saturday but there was absolutely nothing for Sunday night. This morning's park ranger did suggest a private site that isn't listed in the guide book I am using.
I found Beach Loop RV Park without a problem and the site manager has put me in a site for three nights that is actually rented for the month of September but the folks aren't coming until Monday. She was definitely thinking outside of the box plus I think she was worried that I wouldn't find anything anywhere. She may come for tea one day before I leave. Yes she fell in love with Silver Lining and I am not going to complain at all that Silver Lining gets all the attention.  This was just the beginning of a great day.
I established my campsite in a moderate wind and after confirming that the WiFi was working I left for the beaches. I stopped at every beach on the State Beach Tour - walked on most of the designated scenic paths, read every informational signpost, rested on a lot of benches, gathered a lot of sand in my shoes, took loads of pictures and flew my kite several times. Bandon, Oregon is delightful.
I am also very pleased, proud as punch actually, to report that I had no problems whatsoever with backing into my last two sites and my required turning ratio is now a mere reflection of what I used to think I needed. I have also discovered that I actually do best when no one tries to tell me which way to turn the wheel. It would be helpful to have a person at the back to let me know when I have arrived but getting out of the car and walking back to check isn't really a hardship. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is much easier to back up when everyone shuts up. Just tell me how far to back up and that is it.

    ReplyDelete

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.