Tuesday, 3 July 2012

First trip in 2012...

The reservation was made, the trailer was stocked with everything I thought I might need and I was ready to go...
It was Thursday, June 28 and after making one last stop at Safeway and Starbucks little yellow trailer (LYT) and I, with passenger Ruth, left the parking lot and proceeded south on Highway 19A. The traffic was solid as we approached the light at 27th street and I stomped on the brakes as the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I felt the weight of the trailer as the sudden stop pushed it onto the trailer hitch and I was just about to say that was close when another much larger push came from behind and snapped us forward against our seatbelts. The sound was surreal, a deep thudding with a quieter and higher pitched squeaky noise as the pushing stopped.
I got out of the car and walked slowly up the road. The trailer hitch receiver on the car was bent at a very acute angle and there was a gap between the back bumper and the body of the car. Still hopeful that this was due to my sudden stop I walked to the back of the trailer.  The first thing I noticed was that the hood of the black truck that had stopped there was severely buckled and there were pieces of red, black, silver, white and yellow debris on the road. I then turned towards the back of my trailer and as I took in the large piece of fibreglass that was dragging on the road and hanging from one side and the smashed taillights I began to realize that LYT and I would not be camping over the long weekend.
The traffic was building behind us and so was the impatience of the drivers. We knew we had to move the vehicles off the highway—why do cities have designated highways running through them anyway?—and after determining that the bent trailer hitch would not allow us to disconnect LYT from my car I slowly inched around the corner. The police arrived and took our information and statements—the other driver accepted responsibility—and we waited for the tow trucks to arrive.
That was on Thursday. I spent that night at home and by late Friday morning I had connected with insurance adjustors and BCAA and had my wits collected and my act together enough to join my friends in Qualicum. Their trailer is substantially larger than LYT and it was beneficial not to be on my own as I absorbed the reality of the mishap—the planned cross Canada road trip may be in jeopardy.
Today is Tuesday and things are beginning to fall into place.  LYT has been emptied and was delivered to McPhee's RV this afternoon for assessment and the car is at Georgia Straight Collision for repair. The weather is supposed to be drier and sunnier as of tomorrow and I will happily use my secondary means of transport until the car is ready. Now I await the damage report. If LYT is deemed to be beyond repair I have located a T@B, same model and a few years newer, for sale at a dealer in Victoria. If I could have my choice of endings for this story it would involve time travel and erasing reality but that isn't likely to happen and what will be will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family and friends—please include your first name when leaving a comment.